Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Berber Culture

While on WWW*, I experienced many things within the Berber culture, but this one stood out the most was riding the Mules. On the third day of our trip we rode the mules, many people, including me, were looking forward to this because the previous day we had hiked for nine hours and so this meant they didn't have to hike today.They thought that it would be a more enjoyable day, after the mule ride, many still think that, but I disagree.

This ride, for me, was uncomfortable, bumpy, dusty, and all together unpleasant. Right at the beginning when I was getting on the mule it shook violently which lowered my confidence. Then as it walked to the area which some people who had already gotten on their mules were waiting it walked right up next to the edge, also spooking me a little. The ride up the hill wasn't too bad apart from the fact that the motion from left to right and back again wasn't very pleasant. It was when we got over the top of the hill that the not so nice part began. On the way down you would slide to the front of your mule if you didn't hold onto the back of the saddle, and the reach wasn't a very comfortable position, second, this is when my legs fell asleep and so trying to move around was hard. When we reached the bottom my legs were in lots of pain (that comes when you try to move around with sleeping legs) and so I wanted to get off. As you might imagine, this is a bad decision with sleeping legs, and I almost fell over the moment I touched the ground. I decided to walk the rest of the way to lunch, and after lunch we were going to walk anyway. I decided that day that mule rides were not my deal, I much prefer other modes of transport such as cars and bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment